Skip to main content

Featured

Annemarie Stanga: Leadership

 Hi! My name is Annemarie and I am from Denver, Colorado. I am majoring in Biochemistry and Spanish and minoring in Art History on a pre-med track. I am also a student ambassador and doing research on campus. In my free time, I love being in the mountains and doing everything outside, especially hiking! I also enjoy traveling and spending time with my family. My favorite thing about going to school in the Pacific Northwest is the coffee scene, so I'm always up for visiting a new coffee shop! One of our pillars as Setons is leadership. Leadership can take on many forms, and being a Seton means growing in both individual and communal leadership styles. By coordinating service events as one of our service chairs or by inviting a sister out for a coffee date, I have learned how to take initiative and connect with others. being a Setons has allowed me to grow in my own confidence while being surrounded by the most supportive sisters! Our group as a whole is also defined by leadership. I...

Sonal Lal: Learning the true definition of hospitality

Last month, Ryan Songey and I volunteered at student mass on campus. I grew up practicing Hinduism and up until that night, I had never stepped foot in our college hall chapel, let alone attended a student mass. I also never experienced “hospitality” in a context other than the Indian practices of this: offering flower garlands, refreshments, and positive words to guests. I didn’t understand how I was supposed to overcome my hesitations and fears that came with these religious differences, in order to genuinely welcome students and practice hospitality in a manner that I didn’t think I understood quite yet. However, the beautiful part of this story is that it happened more naturally than I would have expected.

I found myself surrounded by people who appreciated my presence and efforts to help out at mass that night, regardless of our differences. I also learned that the act of being “hospitable” is (religiously) universal although it may be expressed in a number of unique ways; the goal is to simply make people feel like they belong and that they are not strangers. While it was scary putting myself out there that night, I will forever be grateful to Setons for this opportunity. It opened my eyes to the fact that I am in a wonderful community that will support me as I am challenged to grow and better myself as an individual.

-Sonal Lal
Seton of Gonzaga 

Comments

Popular Posts