Skip to main content

Featured

Alina Jusic: Service

 Hi! My name is Alina, and I'm from Spokane! I am studying public health with a minor in biochemistry on the pre-health track. I love spending time on campus, and outside of school I enjoy going on road trips, exploring new places, discovering coffee shops, paddleboarding, shopping and thrifting, watching films with friends, and crafting! I also really enjoy volunteer work. I have been involved with Ronald McDonald House Charities, Providence and MultiCare Hospitals, Spokane Public Schools, and Care Crafts Project. So, what initially drew me to Gonzaga were its core values.  Growing up in Spokane, once a week a group of Gonzaga students would come visit my elementary school classroom to teach science lessons. The program that they were apart of aims to provide local schools with extra resources to support STEM education for all students. They brough in science equipment that our school didn't have and taught us how to explore answers to our own questions. This experience spark...

Amber Sety- Service


Hi everyone! My name is Amber Sety, I’m from Spokane and my majors are Biology and Psychology!

Growing up in Spokane, I never thought I wanted to go to Gonzaga, but when it came time to apply to and decided on schools, I found myself right here at GU. I loved high school, and it was there that I developed my passion for both leadership and science, as well as made life-long friendships with some of the best people this world has to offer. Something you should know about it me is that I am BIG on people. My sisters, my nieces and nephews, my friends and all the other people I get to connect with in this life, combined with my love for God, are what give me purpose. I’m grateful to Setons for giving me the opportunity to meet 29 other fantastic women with service mindsets and hearts of gold.

In my application for Setons, I mentioned how closely the pillars of sisterhood, leadership and service align with my personal mission statement. Each is incredibly important in my life, and being a Seton has only affirmed my belief that all three of these values are interconnected and must work together to create real and meaningful impact. Take my service placement, for example. I have the wonderful gift of working with Blessings Under the Bridge to serve Spokane citizens suffering from homelessness and other basic need insecurities. While this work most obviously aligns with the Seton pillar of service, in showing up each week for two hours, we not only strengthen the bond of sisterhood between us Setons, but we build relationship with the organization’s leaders as well as the individuals within the population we serve. We also get to partake in our pillar of leadership by participating as active leaders within the Spokane community. I truly love how, as Setons, our service placements not only directly benefit the organizations that we serve, but teach each of us so much about selflessness, humility, gratitude and commitment. I know that not only am I contributing to good work as a Seton, but by being a part of this meaningful sisterhood, I am learning more about what it means to serve and see leadership in action. I’m incredibly grateful to the Setons organization for giving me the opportunity to serve, to grow as a leader, and to make 29 new friends!





Comments

Popular Posts