Skip to main content

Featured

Annemarie Stanga: Leadership

 Hi! My name is Annemarie and I am from Denver, Colorado. I am majoring in Biochemistry and Spanish and minoring in Art History on a pre-med track. I am also a student ambassador and doing research on campus. In my free time, I love being in the mountains and doing everything outside, especially hiking! I also enjoy traveling and spending time with my family. My favorite thing about going to school in the Pacific Northwest is the coffee scene, so I'm always up for visiting a new coffee shop! One of our pillars as Setons is leadership. Leadership can take on many forms, and being a Seton means growing in both individual and communal leadership styles. By coordinating service events as one of our service chairs or by inviting a sister out for a coffee date, I have learned how to take initiative and connect with others. being a Setons has allowed me to grow in my own confidence while being surrounded by the most supportive sisters! Our group as a whole is also defined by leadership. I...

Alexa Rauvola: Artisans Reflection

We closed our first semester of mentoring with Artisans through a Christmas party with dancing, food, and presents. While the event was fun, the most special aspects of the whole event was the evidence of the community Artisan’s has created. I never really understood the impact we had, but at the party I could clearly see how Artisan’s gave mentees dozens of new friends from both the mentors and the mentees. Whatever their situation at home or in life, they had love from a program that would just let them be themselves. While hectic at times, I think Artisan’s does that well. If anything, it’s a place for individual’s with physical or intellectual disability find a community. 

My mentee, Amy, isn’t usually one to be the loudest in the room or go out of her way to talk to people, even to me. I wasn’t sure if she was going to come to the Christmas party, she usually doesn’t do well with over stimulation or loud noises. However she came and when she arrived the amount of people that greeted her and were happy to see her was really cool to see. Most days, Amy and I just color in silence or chat about the Seahawks, but I really think she enjoys knowing there are people there for her at Artisan’s. While the relationships aren’t filled with constant conversation, I think she appreciates the company and outlet to meet more people. 

I’ve noticed Amy continue to grow throughout the semester and I can’t wait to see what happens by the end of next semester. It’s a special program and I’m lucky to be apart of it. 

-Alexa Rauvola
Seton of Gonzaga

Comments

Popular Posts