Skip to main content

Featured

Annemarie Stanga: Leadership

 Hi! My name is Annemarie and I am from Denver, Colorado. I am majoring in Biochemistry and Spanish and minoring in Art History on a pre-med track. I am also a student ambassador and doing research on campus. In my free time, I love being in the mountains and doing everything outside, especially hiking! I also enjoy traveling and spending time with my family. My favorite thing about going to school in the Pacific Northwest is the coffee scene, so I'm always up for visiting a new coffee shop! One of our pillars as Setons is leadership. Leadership can take on many forms, and being a Seton means growing in both individual and communal leadership styles. By coordinating service events as one of our service chairs or by inviting a sister out for a coffee date, I have learned how to take initiative and connect with others. being a Setons has allowed me to grow in my own confidence while being surrounded by the most supportive sisters! Our group as a whole is also defined by leadership. I...

Artisans Reflection: Kelli Wrolstad

This year I am going to be volunteering with Artisans, an incredible organization that helps employ disabled adults. Although I was excited to start working with Artisans, I was actually really nervous because I had never had any experience working with mentally disabled individuals before. However, even after only two weeks it is clear that I never had anything to worry about.

I first met my mentee, Jackie, when a handful of Artisans clients came to Gonzaga to help us make masks for our Charity Auction. This was before the mentorship assignments had been made, but I partnered up with Jackie right away because she is very shy and did not want to be in the large group of people. We set up our mask-making station in a corner, listened to music, and looked at pictures of her adorable niece.

The next week I learned that Jackie had called Artisans and specifically asked that I be her mentor. I was so touched that she had enjoyed our time together so much, and therefore I could not wait to begin spending more time with her every week.

During our mentoring we usually talk about our weeks, listen to music, and play board games, which get very competitive! Jackie has schooled me in checkers way too many times. Last week we went bowling and it was great seeing Jackie outside of the Artisans center because she had such a fun time and was able to interact more with the other people in our group.

Jackie and I wrote down some goals for the year, and she said that her goal was to become my best friend. I know we are well on the way towards that because I already feel so close to Jackie and have learned a lot from her. Jackie has shown me so much love in the short time that I have known her, and she has taught me how important it is to cherish your loved ones. I am so thankful to have this opportunity to be a part of Jackie’s life, and know that it will challenge me as well and cause me to grow as a person.

-Kelli Wrolstad
Seton of Gonzaga


A note that Jackie wrote to Kelli after their first week together. 

Comments

Popular Posts